Safety & Care

Using candles safely in your home is really important to us here at The KoolKandle Co. Burning an open flame indoors should always be taken seriously to keep yourself, your family, and your home safe. Fire can be deadly so please read this guide thoroughly before lighting your new candle.

  • When burning your candle for the first time, allow the melt pool to reach the edges of the container to prevent tunnelling.
  • Refrain from burning your candle for more than 3 hours at a time, and never burn a candle when there is less than 1cm of wax at the base.
  • Keep your candle wick trimmed to 5mm for a consistent flame, this will prevent sooting and overheating.
  • Never leave your lit candle unattended and always place it away from small children, pets, draughts, and flammable objects.
  • Always place your candle on a heat resistant and stable surface.
  • When extinguishing your candle flame, carefully use a snuffer.

If your candle begins to smoke, flicker, or the flame becomes too high, you should take the following steps:

1. Extinguish the candle
2. Let it cool fully
3. Trim and recentre the wick.
4. Check for drafts before relighting

Please note:
If a candle is allowed to burn for too long, it will increase the depth of the melt pool and the flame will begin to grow. This will cause mushrooming of your wick as well as smoking and overheating of the container. Please always abide by our safety guide when burning your candles.

Tunnelling is when a candle burns down the centre leaving a ring of wax around the edges of the container. The more you burn your candle, the more the middle drops below the top-level of wax, resulting in wasted wax. To prevent tunnelling, allow the melt pool to reach the edges of the container when burning your candle for the first time.

Mushrooming is caused when the candle is taking on a greater amount of wax that it can burn, as a result the wick becomes too hot, and creates the unpleasant looking excess carbon on the ends (mushroom looking growths). If a wick mushrooms, extinguish the flame and trim the wick to 5mm once the wax has fully cooled.

Pitted Tops may occur after burning your candle as you notice rough or bumpy tops. This is caused when the hot wax cools and solidifies at an inconsistent rate. This is a feature of pure soy wax and not a sign that you did anything wrong. While this may look as good as a smooth top, the performance of the candle is not affected.


Diffuser Safety & Care

Caring for your reed diffuser is also really important! So to ensure you get the very best from it we’ve put together some simple instructions and safety precautions.

When you’ve found a home for your new diffuser simply remove the lid and insert the reeds into the bottle. Allow up to 48 hours for the reeds to fully absorb the fragrance blend.

Your diffuser will last anything from 6 to 9 months and sometimes longer depending on temperature and number of reeds used. For a stronger scent use all reeds however if you prefer a subtle scent, simply remove a few. For best results, rotate the reeds once a week to freshen the scent.

Diffuser Base – Our diffuser base contains no alcohol and has a very low evaporation rate. It is made from 100% vegetable glycerine and is fully biodegradable.

Diffuser Safety – The fragrance oils blended in the diffusers are not fit for human consumption! Your diffuser must always be kept out of reach of children and pets. Those with a perfume sensitivity should take caution when using a new diffuser. Use gloves when rotating the reeds and never place your diffuser on a painted or polished surface. Wipe up any spillages immediately.

Diffuser Care – Reed diffusers work best in airy spaces and the best place for your diffuser would be in the middle of a room like a coffee table. The warmer your room is, the fragrance will be stronger as diffusers like warmth.

Diffusers and candles work very well together – use a diffuser to create a low maintenance scent throw all day long, then light your candle to boost the scent.